I have wanted to blog for a while now. Not sure why. Perhaps it is because it is the dead of winter and I need something to get me out of the post-Christmas blues. Perhaps it is because I have painful osteoarthritis at the age of 38 and writing does not strain my joints and my pain, but exercises my brain. Perhaps it is because I have so much to say, but nowhere to really say it. So, this is where it will begin.
I have started a new medication, a food medication called Limbrel, which is loaded with flavonoids, the equivalent of 4-5 lbs in each pill. These flavonoids are supposed to improve joint health. Like any medication, they take some time to kick in, if they are to work at all. I cannot take NSAIDS, like ibuprofen, in combination with this therapy, as they have been found to block the effects of Limbrel. I have been taking almost 2400 mg of Ibuprofen each day. A prescription dose three times a day. This is under the direction of my rheumatologist, so don't be alarmed. However, such doses of Ibuprofen can raise blood pressure, they can also put strain on kidneys, so I have been looking to manage my pain in other ways. Since my "Rheumy" recently diagnosed me, we began having conversations about drug therapy. So, Limbrel was the first choice, as it has been shown to have effects on younger OA patients like myself. I am on day 6 of the therapy. Limbrel has no known interactions with other drugs and the side effects, of which I have had none, are very minimal. However, these 6 days without ibuprofen have proven to be very painful. It is very frustrating to me that a medication that can offer such tremendous relief can have such adverse effects on the body. I am not ignorant; I know this is the way medicine works, but it is very frustrating nonetheless.
I come by OA honestly. My grandmother, my mother, my uncle all had/have it. All had double hip replacements in their 60s. I am too young for such a procedure, but the studies being done on new joint materials and other procedures seems hopeful.
I have been taking it easy for the past few days, because I missed a day of work due to pain. Moving around helps, but due to my need to have a completely organized and clean home, I often overdo it and end up laid up. Yes, I have a husband who cleans and has paid to have my home clean, but those of you who know me, know I like things done my way. I have control issues, to say the least.
Today I had a great talk with my mother about what is going on out in the world of mobile people. The conversation we had today ended with me saying, "It's enough to make me crazy, mom." She said, "You can't make yourself crazy, you need to rest." We were discussing church, the shootings in Arizona, politicians, the new governor and my fears of what might happen to my retirement money as a teacher with all the rumors about union busting and retirement funds for teachers. So, I had an epiphany. I have wanted to blog for a while, this is the perfect time to do it.
Since I teach, I have papers to grade this weekend. About 650 extended response items to be exact. But, I have promised myself and my husband I will not leave this comfy sofa today. Just sit, write and grade.
We'll see if I can do it.
Don't forget to BREATHE while you rest!
ReplyDeleteThis is why I love you! We feel, respond, and want to control as much as possible. I pray this medicine will work for you 'cause you are too fabulous for some joint pain to slow you down.
ReplyDeleteI'm sure you are following in the steps of Ben Franklin--he just didn't have facebook! We all begin somewhere and this is the perfect place for you to start. Best of luck--will look forward to future posts. (Maybe the blog should have been titled Smooches!):)
ReplyDeleteThanks for all the well wishes, and yes mom...I was breathing....it was good for me. More to come. My brain is filled up with all sorts of thoughts and witisisms.
ReplyDeleteYou're right...writing IS therapy. I do it every day and have many blogs. I'm very open and honest in them, probably more than anyone wants to know, but it's all about ME when I write. I hope it brings you some peace and an outlet. Relax, enjoy, take care of YOU. xoxo
ReplyDelete